Thursday, October 19, 2006

A few things I read

my creative side has been a bit dry lately and I am at a bit of an emotional stalemate these days. But there are a few things I have read in the last few weeks that I wanted to share because I thought they were breautiful or brillant. Or both. I have one really special friend over here named Maruska. She is brillant and talented and one of the most amazing people I have ever met. She is actually a poet and wrote a book of poetry (She is Slovak so the book is too but she speaks English amazingly well). And she let me help her clean the English version of the poems up a little. And I was was reading them I just thought they were so great. I am not really good with poetry...being a very linear thinker poetry generally flies right over my head. I guess if you can't put it into a spreadsheet or outline it with bullet points i tend to miss the point. Anyway I read one of these poems this week and wanted to share it with you.

FRIENDS
We were talking till late night.
Then you whished me sweet dreams
and sent angels to my room.
And You started writing a song
For the little birds under my window
and painting dew on the fragile leaves of the forget-me-nots
and baking bread for me.

And when I woke up in the morning
I realized
how great it is
to be friends
with God.


There is a writer who I really love named Brennan Manning. i have one book by him that I read over and over because I think it's amazing (The Signature of Jesus for any of you who are looking for something to rock your planet) and I was reading another one of his books (The Ragamuffin Gospel) and came across this quote which I thought was great.

"when i get honest, i admit I am a bundle of paradoxes. I believe and I doubt, I hope and I get discouraged, I love and I hate, I feel bad about feeling good, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty. I am trusting and suspicious. I am honest and I still play games. Aristotle said I am a rational animal; I say I am an angel with an incredible capacity for beer.

To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means. As Thomas Merton put it, "A saint is not someone who is good but who experiences the goodness of God.""

So I just thought I would share a few of the thoughts that have been crashing around my i head these days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOU, amy and so grateful for these thoughts.

"Abba's Child" is another MUST read by Manning. And I mean must. It's brilliant...so hard to receive, but so true. Also, meant to ask if your time with "practicing the presence of God," was steered by Brother Lawrence? He was a dishwasher who wrote a book with that exact title. Phenomenal.

LOVE YOU MORE after thinking on you for these mintues :).

In ATL for P07 meetings this weekend, but would love to talk next week!? In class Monday and then on 48-hour solitude retreat Wed-Friday, but other than that, I'm YOURS. Please hit me up if time/energy/heart allows. I miss you.

abbie

Ziomal said...

Very nice! I like it. foundation engineering