Friday, April 01, 2005

Slovensko hľadá Superstar

One of the first lessons I learned here in becoming "culturally relevant" is that I needed to watch Slovensko hľadá Superstar. which is the Slovak equivalent to American Idol. It works basically the same as American Idol...every Friday talented young people from all over the Slovak Republic vie to become the next face/voice of Slovak pop music. But many of the songs they sing are American hits (Billy Idol, Elvis, Alanis Morrisette). One funny thing about it is that since the show is on in Slovakia and most viewers are Slovak they don't have to bleep out English cuss words in the songs...even the REALLY REALLY bad ones. I have been faithfully watching and cheering for Prešov's own Katka Koščova. Who I actually met last week at a birthday party for my language teacher. It was basically like meeting the Kelly Clarkson of Slovakia...which I feel kind of lame about enjoying but I will admit to getting just a smidge startstruck. Tonight is the final 4, and I am keeping my fingers crossed and preparing to send a text message to keep my new best friend Katka in the race to be the next Slovensko hľadá Superstar!!!!!!!! A vote for Katka is a vote for Prešov!!!

No comments: