Thursday, March 09, 2006

Music that rocks my face off

Most of you know that I am a huge, obsessive, music lover.  I really just love hearing new stuff and being exposed to bands that maybe aren't mainstream but are doing cool things and have interesting things to say.  Thought I would do a little post about some stuff I am listening to currently that you may want to check out. I will list a band and a few songs that I think are tops pics from the CD.  check them out...you might like them.  Most of them aren't traditionally "Christian" but that doesn't make them any less amazing.  Enjoy.  

Iron and Wine (pretty mellow and "folky")
   -Naked as we came
   -Such Great Heights
   -Woman King

Sufjan Stevens (a little eclectic and quirky...but beautiful songs and really interesting instrumentation)
   -Chicago
   -Casimir Pulaski Day
   -7 Swans

Hem (hard to describe...)
   -The present
   -The Beaufiul Sea

Imogen Heap (electronic "ish"...she is the lead singer for Frou Frou if you are familar.  Had music on the Narnia soundtrack)
   -Clear the Area
   -Hide and Seek
   -The Moment I said it

The Weepies
   -This whole CD is INSANELY GOOD.  It's my favorite of any of the new stuff I am listening to

Jenny Lewis (kind of a edgy, darker Allison Krause sound.  It's almost country but with deep lyrics and cooler sounds)
   -Rise up with Fists!

Jose Gonzalez (super mellow guitar and vocal)
   -Heartbeats
   -Love Stain

The Perishers (just good jangly guitar rock)
   -Sway
   -Still here

Rosie Thomas (incredible vocals...mellow...good for rainy days)
   -Pretty Dress
   -Death came and got me
   -I play music


PS-I have to give my friend Dan Portnoy credit for introducing me to most of this music.  He's the reason I am going broke buying music :)
   

2 comments:

Joshua Longbrake said...

check out "the album leaf"

because i said so.

Amy Lawlor said...

back to you matt-the weepies are not praise and worship...but it would be a good guess :)

I listen to music CONSTANTLY. i have it all on my computer and on my ipod so as soon as I leave the house the pod is on and i usually have music going in the background as I work or clean.

i am obsessed with my ipod and pray it never dies again. mine crashed this summer...i almost crashed as well.