Sunday, March 05, 2006

staring out the window

a couple of things...
first of all since I announced the directive to blog about something funny i feel like I am going to let you down.  as much as I have been trying to come up with something funny...I am drawing a blank.  Not that my life is so mediocre or depressing that there is nothing lighthearted in my world.  but as for laugh out loud "that would make a great story" I am at a loss.  And as most of you know, when you go looking for something it becomes all elusive and we can't find what we are looking for.  or maybe it's just me.  so...if you are looking for a laugh out loud moment with me here I am sorry!  maybe next time

secondly I find myself staring out the window a lot.  the kitchen window which looks out at another grey aparment building or the living room window which looks out at my street.  I just stare.  sometimes I think or pray or blank out or whatever.  for a few weeks there was an old woman (it actually took me a few days to figure out it was a woman) who would come outside super early in the morning with a snow shovel and some sort of metal ice chopping hoe/shovel deal.  she would be outside for several hours chopping at the ice on the sidewalk in front of her building.  Clank, Clank,Clank...trying to work through the 4 inch thick layer of ice that is on all the sidewalks.  So she'd spend hours doing this.  And have to do it again the next day.  

I watch the snow.  I watch the people falling down because the sidewalks are covered in ice.  I watch the people who think no one sees them let their dog poop on the sidewalk.  But mostly I am just looking at nothing.  I suppose I could have some philosophical take on this, or use it as some sort of spiritual metaphor.  but honestly I just wanted to tell you about staring out the window.  

I am sure you are hoping my next post will be about watching paint dry...and it might be but probably not.  

No comments: