Thursday, March 24, 2005

The latest

Sorry for the lack of interesting information lately. I was in Zilina for a conference for youth workers last week (which was great but really busy) and my internet was having issues so I was a little behind! So what's been happening here you may ask...

Learning to live life in a very new way. I am getting better and better at the grocery store (I think i know the words for chicken, fish, and pork), and I can go into a shop and usually point and use some broken phrases to make the shopkeeper understand what I am after. Small victories! I am studying language and really enjoying it. Slovak is really hard and there are some sounds that I just cannot force my mouth to make (this crazy soft T and a soft L especially). But I am encouraged and I understand more and more every day. My English skills are plummeting though...I can't seem to put sentences together correctly anymore so forgive me if these posts sound like I am not a native English speaker!

My girls...I really had this fear coming over here that I wouldn't love these girls the way I wanted to, or enjoy spending time with them as much as I wanted to. But God has totally put a new heart in me for the girls I am spending time with. I have a few college girls I am meeting with that I really love and care for and pray for. I have met some high school girls that I feel such a desire to connect with and I can only chalk that up to God putting the desire into my heart. Such sweet, fun loving girls and I smile so often when I think of them and I am so excited to get to walk through life for a while with them.

We are working on things for camp this summer and trying to plan activities in the cafe now and at the various youth groups. Still learning a lot about the church here in Slovakia and trying to find my place within the ministry so God can use me in any way he wants.

I have been here 6 weeks and I definitely miss my friends and my family and many conveniences of living in America. But every day I am more convinced that I am EXACTLY where I am supposed to be...which is a pretty amazing feeling. God is taking care of me and I am learning so much about trusting Him.

Will post more often to avoid these long and rambling ones! Thanks for checking the site and for praying for me, and the ministry and these amazing students who are wanting to know God more!

No comments: