Thursday, March 24, 2005

Slovak Easter

It's nearly Easter, and I was trying to think if I should buy Easter baskets or plan some sort of Easter egg hunt...then I realized that Easter traditions here in Slovakia are just a touch different. From what I can gather (and I promise this is true) boys will spend the day throwing buckets of water on girls and girls will spend the day giving boys chocolate and other presents. Girls will literally sit in their house and wait. A boy will come to the door, throw water on them and leave. yeah, I know. I managed to hear something about how the water is supposed to signify a year of health for the girls but I still am not real clear on the whole thing. The girls all make a face when you talk about it and the boys all grin like boys. I will chalk this up to another "cultural lesson" I hope not to learn the hard way!

No comments: