Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The trouble with Blogging

Here's the thing, blogging is tougher than it seems. Part of me really wants to be funny, and to post funny pictures and say amusing things. The part of me wants to be serious and post serious things that are in my heart and mind. I feel like all the funny stuff makes me seem shallow, and like I am not actually "working" here and that all the serious stuff makes me sound like someone I am not, or that I am trying too hard to be "spiritual" because that is the expectation of what someone in my "job" ought to be. At this point some of you are saying "you really should be less concerned with what people think of you" and you would be right. But at the same time I want to give an accurate presentation of what life is like here...work, fun, spirituality, ministry, personal stuff etc. I don't have fun all the time here, I don't think spiritual thoughts all the time here, I guess there is no aspect that is constant and a lot like most of you there are good days, bad days, funny moments, sad times, and difficult challenges. I want to post about life and talk about what is happening around me. And I hate that I worry about whether the people reading this will think I am playing too much, working too much, being too self-absorbed, or whatever. There is a really blurry line here between what is work what is play what is ministry and what is personal. It all sort of blends and bleeds and mixes together and then it's midnight and I think "where the heck did the day go?"

spent the last 2 days at a lake on the eastern side of Slovakia. Mike, Lee Ann and I went for a little downtime and to talk about plans for Presov for the next few months. The area we stayed in was kind of a Communist Panama City...if you can picture that. We had a good time though. This week I am going to be studying Slovak like a mad woman...one of these days I am going to whip this language thing!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy:

You rock. Just know that I think it is awesome what you are doing over there and how real you are.

Anonymous said...

appreciated these thoughts very much. i can relate wholeheartedly and am curious how long this blog bit is gonna last?

love that you seem to be RESTING a lot, too, am?? or at least getting away on some cool planning/sabbath trips!?

anxious to be with you soon...i'm counting the weeks. we're at 17.

Stephanie said...

i wanted to leave a comment- i found your blog through josh and ben's blog, i am from Indiana so i know them that way- i just wanted to say i have only gotten on your blog twice and both times i have been challenged and encouraged-your honesty is cool.. i think things we all probably go through, thank you for sharing- i just made my own blog and have no clue what i am doing and sometimes have the same thoughts as you about blogging-but anyway keep doing what your doing-my blog is smallrole.blogspost.com if you wanna check it- thanks again
stephanie troxel
isaiah 26.8